South Suburban College’s Nanoscience Technology Program will provide students with entry level skills to manipulate atoms and molecules at the nanometer scale (1-100 nanometers or I- 100 billionth of a meter) in a cutting-edge emerging field of study. Graduates of this 33-credit hour certificate will be prepared to work as technicians, manufacturers and production workers within industry using nanoscience and micro science technologies, including areas of research and development, production, manufacturing and sales. Students must have an Associate’s Degree or higher in related sciences.
Note: Admission to the College does not guarantee admission into the program.
The applicant must:
- Applicants must have a degree in a related science field and a copy of their current CPR card.
- Submit an SSC application and forward all official high school or HSE transcripts as well as other college transcripts directly to the Office of Admissions.
- Admissions to the Nanoscience Technology Program will be determined by a ranking of the grade point averages (GPA) of the program prerequisite courses. Students will be considered for admissions who have received at least a grade of “C” or better in all program prerequisites and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better (A = 4.0). All final course grades will be validated prior to the start of the program.
- Submit a Nanoscience Technology application to the program by mail or in person (Room 4457) no later than April 15th prior to the fall semester anticipating admissions. Please visit SSC’s website to obtain an application to the program.
- You will be notified in writing of your admissions status no later than May 15th.
- A photocopy of the student’s current health care insurance must be submitted to each respective program coordinator in order to participate at any clinical education site. Failure to maintain comprehensive health care insurance will result in the student being immediately withdrawn from the clinical site and thereby receiving a failing grade in the clinical education class. Furthermore, the student will be financially responsible to pay all medical bills and co-payments as a result of injuries or health issues that arise from participation of clinical education programs.
- Be advised that Biology must be completed within the last 5 years to satisfy the program requirements.
Students must finish all prerequisite courses by December prior to the fall semester of the year you are seeking admission. Students must complete all Nanoscience Technology program courses and general education courses with a “C” or better.
Once admitted into the Nanoscience Technology Program, students will be asked to complete a criminal background check and a possible drug screening. Submit an SSC application and forward all official high school or HSE transcripts as well as other college transcripts directly to the Office of Admissions. Eligibility of internship sites might be dependent on results of the criminal background and drug screening results.
|Overview for College Success||Credits|
|OCS 121||Overview for College Success||1|
|Overview for College Success (OCS 121) is a class that will help you plan and assist you in becoming a better student and support you in your work/life balance. OCS 121 credit is not calculated in the course minimum credit totals listed in this section.|
|NAN 120||Fundamental of Nanoscience I||4|
|NAN 130||Fundamental of Nanoscience II||4|
|NAN 220||Nano Electronics||4|
|MTH 165||College Algebra||4|
|NAN 230||Nano Biotechnology||4|
|NAN 240||Nano Materials||4|
|NAN 250||Nano Manufacturing||4|
|NAN 260||Nano Techniques||3|
|NAN 299||Nano Internship||2|
|MTH 211||Introductory Statistics||4|
|Total Credit Hours:||37|
For questions regarding the Nanoscience Technology Program, please contact Calvin Stark, Part Time Coordinator of the NanoScience Program, or call the Allied Health/Careers Department at (708) 596-2000, ext. 2204.
To make an appointment with the Allied Health Career Advisor, Kathryn Melin Eberhardt, please contact the Counseling Department at (708) 596-2000 ext. 5724.