Veteran Services

Veterans – Welcome!

Welcome! We are glad you chose South Suburban College to study and earn your degree or certificate. Our Veteran’s Center is here to assist you with a wide range of resources to support your success. We strive to provide a welcoming environment encourage you to take advantage of the services at the college. Please contact our Certifying School Official regarding educational benefits. We look forward to welcoming you to South Suburban College!


Your VA Educational Benefits are determined by the date of your enlistment in the military. South Suburban College does not determine benefit eligibility or payment rates. All questions regarding eligibility, housing, books and supplies stipends should be directed to VA. All determinations and final decisions are made by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

According to Federal and State guidelines, a veteran must maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to be eligible to receive assistance.

Documents Needed to Certify Education Benefits

  1. Request for Veteran Benefits form
  2. A copy of the Veterans DD-214
  3. Official documentation from the Office of Veteran’s Affairs to show what program the Veteran qualifies to use
  4. If you are using IVG, a copy of the Notice of Eligibility letter
  5. Copy of current school schedule

All veterans need to complete the South Suburban College admission application. Admissions steps are located at the BE A BULLDOG web page.

A user name, password and ID number will be provided once the application process is complete. This will allow entrance into the student Self Service at Sign In – South Suburban College – Student Self-Service containing information related to registration, class schedule, grades, financials, etc.

Please contact a SSC Counselor for transfer credits, degree or certificate requirements, academic planning and registration support. To contact a Counselor, join the virtual line here QLESS webpage.

Military Credits

Veterans or Active Duty military personnel should submit the following transcripts to the Office of Admissions:

  • AARTS (Army American Council on Education Registry Transcript System)
  • SMARTS (Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript)
  • AFIADL (Air Force Institute of Advanced Distributed Learning)
  • CGI1564 (Coast Guard Institute)
  • DD295 (Application for the Evaluation of Learning Experiences during Military Service)
  • DD214 (Separation from Military Service)
  • Transcripts from regionally accredited colleges

Credits will be awarded for courses that are comparable to courses offered at South Suburban College. Credits awarded will not be calculated into a student’s grade point average.

Veterans who present a copy of their DD214 form to the Office of Admissions will receive four (4) semester hours of physical education credit and two (2) semester hours of health science credit. This credit is posted on the permanent record, but will not be calculated into a student’s grade point average.

If credit is not awarded for a course and a student wishes to challenge that decision, an appeal should be submitted in writing to the Dean of Student Development or their designee. Additional supplemental materials may be submitted along with the appeal letter. These include a course description, course syllabus, letter from a faculty member, or text reference.

Post 9/11 GI Bill® and Other Benefit Programs:

Post 9/11 Chapter 33

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Post 9/11 Chapter 33

The Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

Montgomery Gi Bill® Chapter 30

Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Survivors and Dependants

The Illinois Veteran’s Grant is available to Illinois veterans who have been honorably discharged, have served at least 1 year (active duty) and entered and returned to Illinois within six months of service. Veterans can use IVG for credit and noncredit classes. Veterans are allowed to the grant for up to 120 units or credit hours.

Illinois Veteran’s Grant

The Illinois National Guard (ING) Grant pays tuition and eligible fees at all Illinois public universities or public community colleges.

This grant can be used for either undergraduate or graduate enrollment for the equivalent of four academic years of full-time enrollment which is measured in eligibility units. Recipients may accumulate up to 120 eligibility units. There is no minimum enrollment requirement and non-credit courses are eligible for the ING Grant. The ING Grant is an entitlement program and is awarded to eligible recipients regardless of the funding level.

Illinois National Guard Grant

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The VetSuccess program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VetSuccess offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

Vocational Rehabilitation


Frequently Asked Questions:


  • Chapter 30 – Prior Active Duty G.I. Bill
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 G.I. Bill
  • Chapter 35 – Survivor & Dependents
  • Chapter 1606 – Reserve / National Guard G.I. Bill
  • Chapter 1607 – Active Reserves / National Guard G.I. Bill
  • Vocational Rehabilitation


  • Illinois Veterans Grant
  • National Guard Grant
  • MIA / POW
  • IVG covers tuition and mandatory fees. Does not cover lab fees.
  • Illinois National Guard covers tuition only.
  • MIA/POW covers tuition only.

If you are not sure as to which benefits program you are eligible for, you can contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs office in St. Louis Missouri at (888) 442-4551. You can also request information from

You need to notify the school certifying official (SCO) at SSC if you add or drop any classes. Adding or dropping classes may also change the monthly payment you receive from the VA.

Veteran Services
Cathy Davis
School Certifying Official (SCO)
Rm. 2355 – Main Campus
Phone| (708) 596-2000 ext. 2284
Fax| (708) 210-5746

You do not need to be a full-time student to received benefits. The number of certified credit hours you take will determine how much your monthly benefit will be. You can see the current payment rates at the Department of Veteran Affairs website or by calling (888) 442-4551.

Information on how your monthly benefits are determined can be found on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Yes, you can receive financial aid and use your veteran benefits to help cover the cost of your tuition, fees and books. You can apply for financial aid at to determine if you are eligible.