International Student

I am a citizen of another country and am interested in attending SSC

An international student is a citizen of a country other than the United States who is authorized to remain in the United States for a temporary period as a non-immigrant (F-1 student visa) and who intends to return to his or her home country.

You have options when it comes to your education. At South Suburban College we’re all about options. SSC offers a great selection of over 100 career and transfer programs, community and adult education, non-credit courses, business training programs and ESL education, and so much more. Our faculty are talented and experienced — our programs are convenient and affordable. Take a Virtual Tour to see what awaits you here at South Suburban College!

The community college environment has many advantages:

  • Smaller class sizes
  • Individualized attention from faculty
  • Lower tuition cost
  • Free tutorial services
  • Class credit transferable to four-year universities
  • Ideal environment to adapt to American academic practices

This page will give you the information you need to begin the admission process and to request a Form I-20 to study at SSC.

To apply for admission as an international student, please complete all of the following items. Be sure to submit your application by the appropriate application deadline for the semester to which you are applying.

Admission Dates:

  • Fall Term: July 1st
  • Spring Term: November 1st

1. Apply Online Here

2a. Sponsored Students

If a student is being sponsored, the sponsor must complete and sign the Affidavit of Sponsor. This affidavit must be accompanied by an original, signed letter from the bank showing the funds $16000 USD for the student’s first twelve months of study and an original, signed letter from the employer showing salary or income in U.S. Dollars. If self-employed, provide an original bank letter stating business account balance. The affidavit must be stamped by a notary public or bank official and sent directly to the Counselor for International Studies , in lieu of an Affidavit of Sponsor, the sponsor may choose to submit an INS Form I-134, Affidavit of Support.

2b. Non-Sponsored Students

If a student is NOT being sponsored, that student is responsible for submitting an Affidavit of Sponsor complete with the two letters of support mentioned above.

3. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

Official score report of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must be sent directly to South Suburban College. You may call TOEFL at 1-609-771-7243 or e-mail for more information. South Suburban College requires a score of 500 minimum on the paper-based test, 173 on the computer-based test and 40 on the internet-based. The TOEFL test is required in all cases except citizens of England and Canada. The TOEFL website is

4. Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) Form

Submit the Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) form with required documents and payment directly to ECE for evaluation of your secondary school Education. They will send an evaluation report to South Suburban College. They can be reached directly at You may also use World Educational Services at

5. Transfer Students

F-1 visa students who want to transfer to South Suburban College must also submit copies of their current school I-20 form and a transcript or letter from the school showing dates of enrollment and eligibility to transfer along with the above information.

6. Insurance

Students need to provide evidence of insurance coverage or a certificate of payment for an insurance policy.

7. Submitting Documents

All documents listed above in Numbers 1 through 5 must be submitted to the following address:
Counselor, International Studies
South Suburban College

15800 South State Street
South Holland, Illinois 60473-1200

All documents for admission must be received before July 1 for the Fall semester and before November 1 for the Spring semester.


I-20 Form & F-1 Student Visa

Upon approval of the completed applications and documents, South Suburban College will issue an I-20 form. Please take the I-20 form and your current passport to the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate to obtain the F-1 student visa.

Minimum Credit Hours

If admitted, all international students must register for a minimum of 12 semester hours of study each semester of the academic year.

Policy: Completion of Program of Study

It is the policy of the College to notify U.S. Immigration when students on F-1 Visas fail to register for classes before completing their program of study.

Enrollment & Tuition

International students must re-enroll with assistance of a Counselor for International Students.

Any student classified as a international student will be assessed the out-of-state tuition rate.

We look forward to welcoming you to South Suburban College!