THIS POSITION’S START DATE HAS BEEN REVISED.
Full-Time Grant Funded ABE/ASE Instructor
Instructors for ABE/ASE are responsible for educating the adult population of District #510 who lack sufficient mastery of basic educational skills to enable them to function effectively in society or who do not have secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent and have not achieved an equivalent level of education. Instructors work at various sites throughout the District and report to the Director, establishing the accomplishment of the goats set forth by the Illinois Community College Board, as well as those of the Adult Education Division of South Suburban College.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Possess knowledge of adult learning theory, learning styles and strategies.
- Implements goals and procedural directives of the Division of Adult Education.
- Performs liaison functions between the site and the College.
- Coordinates all activities of site.
- Maintains all books and supplies and proposes new items to supervisor for purchase.
- Maintains an open, friendly, and relaxed atmosphere at the site and in the classroom while maintaining sensitivity to cultural, gender and age differences.
- Responsible for completing New Teacher Orientation training (if not completed within the last 5 years).
- Coordinates and develops use of effective teaching strategies for students requiring accommodations.
- Assesses students’ learning levels, develops instructional objectives, monitor students’ progress, and implements syllabus and lesson plans.
- Attends professional developmental workshops and conferences, earning a minimum of 12 hours of professional development credit per fiscal year.
- Coordinates and implements i-Pathways as a supplement to instruction, as well as additional online educational opportunities within the classroom.
- Completes and submits, as well as coordinates timely submission of appropriate instructor records as they relate to grades and attendance for all students for College database and adult education database.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Adult Education.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field, two years teaching in adult education or a college situation.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Candidate should be trained in i-Pathways, Special Needs Training, EBRI (Evidence Based Reading Instruction), ABE/ASE Curriculum, Colleague/Datatel and DAISI.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a strong background in English.
This is a part-time Grant position for 9-24 hours a week, 12 weeks a year. The salary is $22.00 per hour.
April 18, 2022
Until Position is Filled
Submit letter of application and resume to Cmcelroy@ssc.edu or Office of Human Resources, Room 1245.