Part-Time ASL Interpreter
Services for Students with Disabilities Office (SSDO)
Description of Position:
Under the direction of the Manager of Services for Students with Disabilities Office, the ASL Interpreter will assist students that are deaf/hard of hearing in an academic setting. Other assistance includes interpretations for SSC meetings and events.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties:
- Follow ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information.
- Translate messages simultaneously or consecutively into specified languages, orally or by using hand signs, maintaining message content, context, and style as much as possible.
- Listen to speakers’ statements to determine meanings and to prepare translations, using electronic listening systems as necessary.
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical terms such as those for legal or medical material.
- Read written materials, such as legal documents, scientific works, or news reports.
- Identify and resolve conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices, or behaviors.
- Check translations of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions.
- Refer to reference materials, such as dictionaries, lexicons, encyclopedias, and computerized terminology banks, as needed to ensure translation accuracy.
- Must possess certification with a skill level of interpretation capabilities i.e. NIC, CDI, etc.
Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
Experience working in an academic setting.
Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
This is a temporary position for 20 hours per week. Pay rate is $30-35 per hour.
Submit cover letter, resume, licensure credentials and unofficial transcripts via email to email@example.com. Please include the title of the position applying for in the subject line.
**In order to ensure that your information is received in a timely manner, please send to the resumebank. Applications sent to any other email address will not be accepted. Thank you.**