Part-Time ASL Interpreter
Services for Students with Disabilities Office (SSDO)
Description of Position:
Under the direction of the Manager of Services for Students with Disabilities Office, the ASL Interpreter will assist students that are deaf/hard of hearing in an academic setting by providing interpretation services and support. To perform this job successfully, the individual must perform the duties and meet the requirements satisfactorily.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties:
- Translate messages simultaneously or consecutively into specified languages, orally or by using hand signs, maintaining message content, context, and style as much as possible.
- Listen to speakers’ statements to determine meanings and to prepare translations, using electronic listening systems as necessary.
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical terms such as those for legal or medical material.
- Read written materials, such as legal documents, scientific works, or news reports.
- Identify and resolve conflicts related to the meanings of words, concepts, practices, or behaviors.
- Check translations of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions.
- Refer to reference materials, such as dictionaries, lexicons, encyclopedias, and computerized terminology banks, as needed to ensure translation accuracy.
- Comply with FERPA regulations and college policies.
- Participate in college trainings, meetings and events as directed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must possess certification with a skill level of interpretation capabilities i.e. NIC, CDI, etc.
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Proficiency with virtual platforms i.e., Zoom, Google Meets, Web Ex, etc.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well independently.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Prior experience working in an academic setting
- Experience working in an academic setting.
This is a temporary position for 20 hours per week. Pay rate is $45 per hour or commensurate with experience.
Submit cover letter, resume, licensure credentials and unofficial transcripts via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of the position applying for in the subject line.
**In order to ensure that your information is received in a timely manner, please send to the resumebank. Applications sent to any other email address will not be accepted. Thank you.**