Part-Time, ESL Instructor – Days (location at Main Campus and Off-Site location)
Instructors for English as a Second Language are responsible for educating the adult ESL population of District #510 to infuse contextualized instruction about a particular career field in order to transition students into a job or post-secondary education. The curriculums are designed to help students learn about life skills, the world of work, career exploration and the English language. These courses are intended to teach non-native speakers of English how to communicate in their communities, at the workplace, and in an academic setting. Instructors work at various sites throughout the District and report to the site coordinator to accomplish the goals set forth by the Illinois Community College Board, as well as those of the Adult Education Department of South Suburban College.
- Possess knowledge of ESL methodology, adult learning theory, learning styles and strategies.
- Use a variety of techniques to assess learners’ needs; select materials appropriate to learners’ needs; develop daily lesson plans; individualize instruction for student population; and integrates appropriate technology. Include digital literacy, life skills, and math into daily lessons, highlighting workplace and academic vocabulary.
- Possess ability to manage a multi-level classroom.
- Develop and use effective teaching strategies for students requiring accommodations.
- Assess students’ learning levels, develop instructional objectives, monitors student progress, and implement lesson plans.
- Attend professional developmental workshops and conferences, earning a minimum of 12 hours of professional development credit per fiscal year.
- Assists students with assessment of student goals according to the National Reporting System (NRS).
- Provide online educational opportunities within the classroom.
- Ability to navigate computers and a Smart Board for classroom assistance.
- Complete and submit appropriate records as they relate to grades and attendance for all students.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of Adult Education.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field, two years experience teaching adults.
- Completion of Illinois ESL Standards Proficient Instructor Training required.
- ESL or TESOL teaching experience preferred.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a strong background in English.
- Illinois teaching credentials preferred.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
Submit letter of application, resume and transcripts to:Office of Human Resources
South Suburban College
15800 South State Street
South Holland, IL 60473
or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to ensure that your information is received in a timely manner, please send to the resumebank. Applications sent to any other email address will not be accepted. Thank you.