Two paths of study are available to this curriculum. The first path is a Management Information Systems AAS degree. The second path is to prepare students for transfer to an upper division school in order to earn a four year degree. The computer classes offered here will prepare students to transfer to a college or university.
The mission of the Management Information Systems (MIS) program at South Suburban College is to prepare students for a career or promotional opportunity in MIS, as it relates to understanding operating systems software and computer hardware; management information systems and programming languages; hands-on computer problem-solving experience, and the Internet. Students are able to complete certifications and/or an Associate’s Degree in Applied Science in preparation for entry level or high level positions in Information Technology (IT) with an emphasis on programming and information system management.
Our vision is to maximize student learning through solid instructional methods to help gain the skills needed to effectively develop and manage information systems through technology within a professional business environment. Student will be better prepared to enter into a four year university or increase their job opportunities.
Through quality instruction from faculty and input from the Advisory Board Committee, the following goals have been established for students in the Management Information Systems (MIS.AAS) Program. Students will
- demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of computers and general knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite software.
- make use of the World Wide Web as a repository for seeking information for personal and research purposes.
- demonstrate an in-depth understanding of why computers are essential components in the business world and society in general.
- demonstrate an understanding of applications and system software including graphical user interface and multimedia.
- use learned strategies for purchasing, installing, and maintaining a personal computer system.
- demonstrate a working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation graphic software using a variety of tools.
- gain valuable on-the-job work experience in developing and managing information systems by completing an internship within a professional office environment.
This curriculum trains individuals to be proficient in computer programing.
Webmaster A.A.S. Degree
This curriculum trains individuals to be Webmasters.
Basic certificates designed to provide specialized training in specific areas. A basic certificate is less than 30 hours.
College Transfer Curricula
Students enrolled in this program who intend to transfer should consult the College & Career Success Center for help in selecting courses appropriate for the program at the college or university where you plan to transfer.
Questions About the Program?
If you have questions about the Management Information Systems Program at SSC that weren’t answered above, fill out this form and someone will get in touch with you.
Ms. Ona’ Johnson
Business Program Coordinator
(708) 596-2000 ext. 2357