LIBRARY INSTRUCTION SESSION DOCUMENTS:
- How to Sign into SSC Library Databases
- Library Orientation Guide
- Getting Acquainted with the Library
- OCS 121 Career Information – UPDATED INTERACTIVE GUIDE
For more information on how to access library resources please contact the Reference Desk (708) 210-5750 or send requests to ReferenceDesk@ssc.edu.
The mission of the South Suburban College Library is to provide high quality resources and services to support learning and teaching at South Suburban College. To serve our academic community, the library teaches students to seek, evaluate, and use information for college success and lifelong learning.
The vision of the South Suburban College Library is to be a vibrant environment where students are encouraged to research, learn, complete coursework, collaborate, and study. The South Suburban College Library wants all students, faculty, staff, and community members to become information literate knowledge seekers who will be able to find, evaluate, and utilize resources in a variety of formats and embrace the library as a point of connection to information.
- Access: To provide access to information resources at the main campus and the Oak Forest Center.
- Collections: To build, maintain, preserve, and disseminate collections in a variety of formats to support learning and teaching at the college and the information needs of the community.
- Education: To educate and inform students, faculty, and the community regarding access to information to foster information literacy and promote lifelong learning.
- Facilities: To provide facilities, appropriate to the needs of the college’s primary clientele, which encourage the use of resources in a variety of formats and learning.
- Planning: To anticipate and develop services that respond to the changing needs of users through evaluation and collaboration with faculty members at South Suburban College.
- Training: To provide continuing education and training for library staff to promote excellence and exemplary practice in the profession.
The Library is designed to provide students with a quiet place for reading, research and study.
- Food is not permitted in the library
- Drinks with closeable lids are permitted
- Smoking is not permitted in the library and is illegal by state law
- Phone calls are not permitted in the library.
The Library upholds SSC’s Student Code of Conduct that can be found in the Academic Catalog.
Library Collections & Services
The collection focuses on the coursework offered at South Suburban College. The Library offers its patrons:
- 20,452 books in the collection;
- 34 periodical titles;
- textbook reserves for classes;
- US government publications;
- research and reference assistance;
- library instruction;
- SSC archives;
- Computers and laptops with Internet access (for use in the library only);
- copy machines, scanners, and printers;
- Study rooms
Devon Powell: Dean, Student Services and Library
Sangeeta Kumar, B.A., M.L.I.S.: Reference Librarian/ Instruction – Technical Services