Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Yes there is financial assistance available. South Suburban College participates in a wide variety of grant, scholarship and work-study programs.
You can file electronically via the Internet at: If you need additional help filing your application or do not have access to the internet, computers are available in the financial aid office. Financial aid workshops are also offered by the financial aid office. Please call the financial aid office about dates and times.
The federal government offers two grants the Pell and SEOG. The State of Illinois offers one grant the MAP. You can apply for all of these grants by filling out just one form the FAFSA.
No, grants are a gift of aid that does not need to be repaid.
Eligibility is based on need. Need is determined by looking at your income and economic situation. Most of the information you provide is based on your previous year’s federal income tax return.
Special situations and any unusual situations should be referred to the Director of Financial Aid. In certain cases these circumstances can be taken into account when determining your financial aid eligibility.
Yes, South Suburban College offers a wide array of scholarships through the college. The financial aid office has resources on scholarships that are available from other sources.
Yes South Suburban College participates in the College work Study program. Students in this program work at the college and earn money to help pay college expenses while they are attending school. Many SSC students also work part-time jobs off campus.
The financial aid office is located across the hall from the counseling center in room 2355, on the second floor of the college. Enter the college thru the visitor’s entrance, door number one.
The Financial Aid Office is open from 8:00 7:00 a.m. Monday thru Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Friday. The phone number is (708) 596-2000, ext 2283, or email
Beginning in the fall 2012 semester, students are encouraged to use the Internal Revenue Service data retrieval process to complete the FAFSA. Students who are not able or who wish not to use the service will be required to provide the college with an IRS tax transcript. The college will no longer be able to accept a tax form copy as verification

To be eligible for financial aid a student must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a US Citizen or permanent resident
  • Have a HS diploma or a GED
  • Not be in default of any student loans
  • Not owe a refund back on a federal grant
  • Be maintaining satisfactory progress
  • Be enrolled in at least 3 hours
  • Not be presently using Financial Aid at another college or training facility
Although there is no deadline imposed by the college, the financial aid office recommends that you file your application as soon as possible. Funds for the MAP grant and other state programs are limited, and usually run out by the end of February. Since state funding is an important part of many students aid package we encourage you to file as early in the year as possible.
Aid is available to students attending half-time and even less than half-time students are eligible for some financial aid.
Financial Aid will pay for a course if it was previously failed or withdrawn or the course was previously passed only once, (unless the college requires that a higher grade is necessary to advance to the next level).
Due to legislative changes to the Federal Pell Grant program, students are now eligible to receive the Pell grant for up to 12 semesters (full time) – 600% or the equivalent.If a student exceeds the 12 semester maximum, he/she will lose eligibility for additional Pell grants beginning in the 2012-2013 school year.Equivalency is calculated by adding together the percentages of Pell eligibility that is received each semester to determine if a student exceeded 600%. For example: If a new student, was entitled to $5550 for the 2010-2011 school year but only used $2775, then the student used 50% of his or her’s allotted 600%. If that same student was entitled to $5550 for the 2011-2012 school year and was enrolled full time for both the Fall 2011semester and the Spring 2012 semester, using all $5550 for the school year, he or she would have used 100%. In total this student has used 150% of their total 600% eligibility. In the MAP program students are limited to 75 units for their freshman and sophomore years. A unit is roughly 1 credit hour.
Students receiving financial aid are required to complete 2/3rds of the hours they are attempting, and earn a GPA of at least a 2.0. If a student does not meet these standards after one semester they will continue to receive aid the second semester on a warning period. At the end of the second semester if they have not met the standards they are cut off from additional financial aid, although the student has the opportunity to appeal this determination if there are extenuating circumstances.
Students must pay their tuition and fees first, and then if any funds are leftover they can purchase books and supplies in our campus bookstore.
Not currently, We are working with PACE about establishing a new program.
Students are required to pay all tuition and fees at the time of enrollment. Payment plans are available for students who need to spread out their payments over time.
Yes, South Suburban College is a military friendly college and we participate in all of the VA programs.
Veterans must first apply for their benefits through the GI Bill website, In about 4 weeks, the veteran will be sent a letter stating the amount and duration of your benefits. A copy of this letter must be brought into the financial aid office along with a copy of your DD214. Before the start of each semester the veteran must complete the Request for Benefit form and turn it into the VA representative. These forms are available in the FA office and gather information about the veteran’s plans for the semester especially the number and type of classes that the benefits will be used on. As in the financial aid programs veterans are required by the VA to earn a GPA of at least 2.0. Failure to maintain satisfactory progress will result in the veteran being ineligible for future benefits.

South Suburban College participates in the following veterans programs:

  • Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG)
  • Illinois National Guard Grant (ING)
  • Veterans scholarships
  • Veterans Tuition Waiver

Veterans should see the veteran’s representative for information on applying for these programs.

Yes, veterans can also be eligible for any of our financial aid programs.
Students who withdraw from all of their classes between the end of the first week and 60% of the semester are subject to a pro-rata refund of their federal funds. That is the college is obligated to return a percentage of your federal funds to the Department of Education. Since a student owes 100% of their tuition and fees after one week, a withdrawal could result in the student owing a balance to the college.
If a student does not attend one of their classes, no financial aid funds can be used to pay tuition and fees for that course. The student’s aid is reduced to reflect the lesser amount of hours; however since the student has not officially dropped the class the charges remain and become the responsibility of the student.
No, the federal government only allows a student to get financial aid at one school at a time. Student wishing to take classes at more than one college may do so by using a consortium agreement. This agreement allows a student to leave their financial aid at one school and attend another institution, with their hours being reflected on the home schools financial aid. Student wishing to inquire about a consortium agreement must see the Director of Financial Aid.
No, South Suburban College does not participate in any student loan programs. The college withdrew from the programs in 1993.
Any funds left over after tuition, fees and books have been paid, are returned to the student a little more than halfway through the semester. These funds are disbursed by check sent to the students address as recorded in the colleges’ information system
Students should file as early as possible to take advantage of any programs with limited funds.