Arial view of the district header

As a state tax-assisted institution, South Suburban College, with some exceptions, extends preference in admission and tuition to residents of the state of Illinois—that is, to persons whose circumstances conform to the system’s definition of resident status stated below. Residency classifications are determined each term by the Admissions Office at the time of application entry. A valid state issued ID is required to determine district residency. District residency status can change during a semester, but tuition will not be adjusted after the 10th day of the term. By Illinois state law, a student may be requested to supply proof of residency at any time.

Residency Definitions

The following rules are used to determine the resident classification of a person for admission and tuition purposes. Residency is based on the location of the student’s actual habitation at the time of registration and is associated with the intent to remain at that location for the entire semester. As such, the classification of residency, as determined when fees are paid, remains in effect for the entire term. Residency of students under 18 is that of the parent or legal guardian, or as otherwise established by law. A person is eligible to be classified as a resident if they meet the requirements of a resident under any of the following categories.

  • In-District Students
    Persons who have established a permanent residence within Community College District 510 and show evidence of continued intent to remain in the district. Permanent residency is the establishment of a household in Illinois, including the lease of living quarters, mortgage, property deed, property title, and payment of utility bills in Illinois.
  • Out-of-District Students
    Persons living outside Community College District 510, but in the State of Illinois.
  • Out-of-State Students
    Persons not living in Illinois.
  • Foreign/International Students
    Persons who are not United States citizens, have not filed a petition for naturalization in Illinois, and do not hold permanent residency status. These students are charged out-of-state tuition rates.
  • Permanent Residency Status Students
    Persons living in the district who are able to establish their status by providing a copy of their alien resident card; and as such, are classified as in-district and charged in-district tuition rates.
  • High school
    Staff Members. Faculty and Staff members of South Suburban College, shall be treated as residents. The term “staff member” as used in these rules means a person appointed to a faculty or academic professional by the Colleges Board of Trustees. For purposes of residency, the term “staff member” shall not apply to persons employed on an hourly basis in an academic capacity South Suburban College may verify residency status under this paragraph for each term and require supporting information and documentation. A person who no longer meets the requirements for residency under this paragraph shall be classified as a nonresident effective the next term after the change that resulted in loss of residency status under this paragraph.
  • In-District Employment
    Employees of businesses located within District 510, but who reside outside of the district, may enroll in courses. Any individual interested must bring a certification letter on official company stationary each semester to the Registration office. Any nonresident employee who qualifies for resident tuition as described above shall become subject to nonresident tuition for the entire term if their employment is vacated prior to completion of three-fourths of the term in question.
  • Veterans
    Person is utilizing benefits under the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 or any subsequent variation of that Act, then that person will be deemed a resident for that semester. The system may verify residency status under this rule for each term and require supporting information and documentation.
  • Intended Resident

    Demonstrate through objective documentation that your physical presence was coupled with the intent to make District 510 your permanent home. Intent is evaluated as an independent element of residence, separate from physical presence, and is demonstrated by establishing residential ties in District 510, and relinquishing ties to the former place of residence.

    You must demonstrate your intention to make District 510 your home by severing your residential ties with your former residence and establishing those ties within District 510.

Proof of District Residency for In-District Tuition

As a public community college within the state of Illinois, South Suburban College adheres to current residency requirements set forth by the Illinois Community College Board. To receive in-district tuition at South Suburban College, all new students must provide proof of established residency within Community College District 510 at least 30 days prior to initial term registration. Classification of residency remains in effect for the entire term. A student who resides in Community College District 510 for educational purposes only does not gain the status of in district resident regardless of the length of the student’s stay in the district. A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish residency in Community College District 510, will be classified as a non-district resident, thus paying out-of-district tuition.

A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish residency in Community College District 510, will be classified as a non-district resident, thus paying out-of district tuition.

To prove residency, you will be required to provide a valid driver’s license or state issued ID card with the in-district address: at your initial application time; if you have an address change; or returned mail. If you are unable to provide either one of those items, see additional acceptable items below.

A total of three documents (one from each category below) will be required to verify in-district residency. Each document must list the student’s name and residential address (not a Post Office box), and at least one of the documents must be dated within the last 30 days:

Category I Category II Category III
  • Contract to purchase home in district
  • Home Insurance Declaration Page
  • Homeowner’s Association Notice
  • Mortgage Agreement
  • Property Closing Statement
  • Rental Contract or Lease
  • Voter’s Registration Card *
  • Voter’s History (online)
  • Shelter Residency Document
  • Paycheck stub
  • Tax return
  • W-2
  • 1098-T (not from South Suburban College)
  • 1099 Interest Statement
  • Social Security Statement
  • FAFSA downloaded information
  • INS Documentation
  • Voter’s Registration Card*
  • Vehicle Registration Card
  • Healthcare Eligibility Card from Healthcare and Family Services
  • Current Illinois Firearm Owners ID Card (FOID Card)
  • Jury Duty Notice
  • Unemployment Check Stub
  • Military Active Duty/Discharge Documentation
  • Bills:
    • Gas
    • Electric
    • Telephone
    • Water
    • Medical/Dental
    • Credit Card Statement
  • Installment Loan Documentation (Car/Boat/Motorcycle, etc.)
  • Library Card (must include name and address)
  • Bank Statement
*Can be used for either Category I or II – not both

A person who provides false information or conceals information for the purpose of achieving resident status and/or who fails to notify the college of a change of circumstances which might affect classification or reclassification from resident to nonresident status may be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, as well as other penalties which may be prescribed by law. Further information or clarification may be secured by contacting the Office of Admissions or Office of the Registrar at the university concerned:

In -District *Split District
Dolton Blue Island
Phoenix Burnham
South Holland Country Club Hills
Harvey Hazel Crest
Calumet City Lynwood
Posen East Hazel Crest
Lansing Oak Forest
Dixmoor Riverdale
Tinley Park

For more information, contact Registration, (708) 596-2000 ext. 2384 or 2328.