The Basic Nurse Assistant Training Program (BNATP) prepares student to assist the registered nurse and licensed practical nurse as an integral member of the health care team in a variety of health care settings. This course provides instruction in basic nursing skills through lecture, campus laboratory and supervised clinical experiences at a long-term health care facility.
The classes meet at the Oak Forest Center on Monday thru Thursday. Students are required to complete a minimum of 80 hours of theory/lab and 40 hours of clinical. The program required course must be completed with a grade of “C” or better. Upon successful completion of the program the student is eligible to take the Nurse Aide Test Competency Exam (NATCE). Each individual who successfully passes the certification exam will be placed on the State of Illinois’ Health Care Worker Registry.
Basic Nurse Assistant Training Program (BNATP) Classes
NAS 100 580 (2nd 8-weeks) | October 16 – December 7, 2017
THEORY | 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM / Monday & Tuesday | Location: Oak Forest Center | 10/16/2017 – 12/06/2017
LAB | 8:00 AM – 1:30 PM / Wednesday & Thursday | Location: Oak Forest Center | 10/07/2017 – 11/09/2017
CLINICAL | 7:00 AM – 2:30 PM / Wednesday & Thursday | Location(s): Generations at Applewood/Villa at Evergreen Park | 11/15/2017 – 12/07/2017
NAS 100 540 (1st 8-weeks)
THEORY | 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM / Monday & Tuesday | Location: Oak Forest Center | 01/16/2018 – 03/06/2018
LAB | 8:00 AM – 1:30 PM / Wednesday & Thursday | Location: Oak Forest Center | 01/18/2018 – 02/14/2018
CLINICAL | 7:00 AM – 2:30 PM / Wednesday & Thursday | Location(s): Generations at Applewood/Villa at Evergreen Park | 02/15/2018 – 03/08/2018
NAS 100 580 (2nd 8-weeks)
THEORY | 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM / Monday & Tuesday | Location: Oak Forest Center | 03/19/2018 – 05/08/2018
LAB | 8:00 AM – 1:30 PM / Wednesday & Thursday | Location: Oak Forest Center | 03/21/2018 – 04/18/2018
CLINICAL | 7:00 AM – 2:30 PM / Wednesday & Thursday | Location(s): Generations at Applewood/Villa at Evergreen Park | 04/19/2018 – 05/10/2018
BNAT Program Requirements
Entry into the BNAT Program requires applicants to be:
- 17 years of age and at least 8 years of education;
- Place into Reading 081 or above;
- Submit to Livescan Fingerprint Background Check with no disqualifying offenses;
All Certified Nursing Assistant applicants must complete a Livescan criminal background check in accordance with the Health Care Worker Background Check Code.
The process to obtain a fingerprint background check is as follows:
- Prospective students should complete and sign an Authorization and Disclosure for Criminal History Records Information Check form that must be submitted to the BNAT Program Office in Room 4223. (Forms can be found online or in the BNATP office)
- Students will receive a Livescan Fingerprint application. Students are required to use the IDPH approved vendors who are listed on the printed application.
- Students must present a valid Driver’s license or State ID when obtaining fingerprints from vendor: The Livescan fingerprint is at the expense of the student, which is approximately $38.00.
Upon verification of Livescan Fingerprint Background check you will be given a curriculum form to take to the Registration counter, at which time you may register for the BNAT Program.
The Nursing Assistant Program is approved by the:
Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH)
607 W. Jefferson St.
Springfield, IL 62702-5097
telephone: (217) 782-6553
IDPH’s rules states that nurse’s aide cannot work for an agency if they have certain criminal convictions. The list of disqualifying convictions that will keep students from working as a nurse’s aide may be found on the Illinois Department of Public Health Nurse Aide Registry website.
While this is not meant to discourage students, it is strongly recommended that any student who has one or more disqualifying convictions should not enroll in the BNATP until they apply and receive a waiver from the Illinois Department of Public Health. A waiver is not granted to everyone that applies. Each waiver application is reviewed individually. IDPH will not provide waivers for multiple disqualifying offenses. Refer to the IDPH website for CNA Facts, Waiver Application PDF, and Waiver Application Facts PDF.
Students may request a waiver application by contacting IDPH at:
Health Care Worker Registry
525 N. Jefferson Street, Fourth Floor
Springfield, IL 62761
Tuition and Fees
The Nurse Assistant Training Program is 6 credit hours. Students pay the current cost for each credit hour along with a lab fee. The lab fees are $125.00, which include the Illinois Nurse Aide Competency Exam (INACE). In addition, students pay for a textbook and workbook, and supplies that include: a stethoscope, gait belt, white nurse’s shoes, and wrist watch with a second hand, white scrub pants, and powder blue scrub top.
Visit the Admissions Office in room 2348.
Current students: will receive a pre-admission checklist. Admissions staff will check their academic credentials to make sure they place into Reading 081 or above.
New students: will complete a college application, receive a pre-admission checklist and are required to meet with a counselor before taking the Compass placement test.
NOTE: If Reading placement is below RDG 081, counseling will recommend a remedial reading class before proceeding. Student who place into Reading 081 or higher will proceed to the BNAT Program Office in room 4223.
Clinical Compliance and CPR Documentation
Students are required to submit a completed BNATP Health Form prior to participation in clinical site activities. (Affiliation sites may require additional information specific to their safety regulations.)
NOTE: Students must be able to participate in all aspects of the course without any restrictions.
- Insurance Coverage: All students shall submit proof of health insurance coverage. Health insurance coverage shall be current at all times. If the student is unable to provide such proof of insurance, the student shall not receive a clinical placement.
- Vaccination status: The healthcare provider must either document vaccination dates and record immunity status as verified by titer levels. (Childhood immunizations-DPT booster dose and Hepatitis B)
- Hepatitis B. Vaccination: Individuals who plan to apply to the nursing program will need to be vaccinated. Students should discuss the benefits of vaccination with their healthcare provider.
- TB Screening Test: A yearly screening for TB is required through a skin test or blood test (Quantiferon). If this is your first TB screening, a 2-step process is mandated by the Centers for Disease Control. If you have tested positive for TB, you must receive a chest x-ray. All results must be attached to the health form.
- Group A Streph: Students who proceed to clinical must submit to the A Streph swab testing that is required by our clinical affiliate.
- Influenza Vaccination (Seasonal): The flu vaccine is required at all clinical sites during flu season, as mandated by the (CDC) Center for Disease Control. You clinical instructor will inform you of your site requirements.
- CPR/AED Certification: All students shall submit a current American Heart Association CPR certification card prior to clinical placement. Certification must be at the healthcare provider’s level and include adult, child, and infant resuscitation and Automatic Electronic Defibrillation (AED). New cards shall be submitted prior to expiration.
Failure to provide proof of vaccinations or immunity titers, may prevent students from progressing to clinical.
The following documents must be uploaded and verified by CastleBranch before the start of your clinical rotation.
- Completed physical health screening;
- CPR certification from the American Heart Association for Healthcare Providers;
- Submit evidence of current health insurance.
- Go to www.castlebranch.com. In the PLACE ORDER box, enter the package code “OH25im” and click GO. Follow instructions and fill out the information needed to pay ($20.00), then upload your documents which are:
- your completed physical health form,
- proof of current health insurance and
- CPR card.