Military Admission Checklist

Photo of a Viet Nam Statue

Be advised that this checklist is the procedure for Veteran and active Servicemembers and their families who are interested in enrolling at South Suburban College. If you are interested in going to South Suburban College and are not a Servicemember, please go to BE A BULLDOG web page.

The following communications will be sent to the email address provided on the SSC application.

  • When the account is created.
  • Once application is submitted.
  • Your acceptance letter containing user name/password and instructions for your SSC SELF-SERVICE, including instructions to set up your SSC email.
  • The $20 admission fee is waived for Veterans and servicemembers.


  • Submit Enrollment Certification Request Form. Submit the Enrollment Certification Request Form and supporting documentation to Ms. Cheryl Plath, the VA Certifying Official, or 708-596-2000, ext. 2283 or Room 2355. This form must be turned in each semester in order for your enrollment to be sent to VA.
  • Complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    • You are asked to complete the FAFSA at to determine your eligibility for additional aid. Completion of the FAFSA and subsequent awarding of aid can help defray costs when your benefits do not meet your expenses or when the VA is delayed in payments. South Suburban College’s Title IV school code is 001769
  • The following are required items on file at the Admissions Office in orders to process you FA:
    • Loan Default Letter
    • Marriage License
    • Non-Filers Tax Transcript
    • Social Security Information
    • Legal Dependent Docs
      • Child’s Birth Certificate
      • Schedule C from taxes
      • Ward of Court Documents
      • Other Documents upon request
  • FAFSA Processing Time:
    • 5-7 business days for new application
    • 3-5 business days for any changes made to application
  • The Department of Education (DOE) will send you an email with a link to your Student Aid Report (SAR) within one week after completing your FAFSA application. Please review your SAR.
  • If your SAR is selected for a process called Verification you are required to submit additional documents to the Financial Aid Office.
  • For any available scholarship opportunities visit


  1. Apply Online for VA Educational Benefits at
    • If you have used benefits before at another college but are now degree seeking at South Suburban Community, you will need to fill out a change of school form (22-1995 veteran, 22-5495 dependent) with VA. You can access these forms and apply for VA benefits at the VA E-benefits portal.
    • Please be aware when selecting Chapter 33-Post/911 you are required to forfeit another benefit. You can research which Chapter is best for you using the GI Bill® benefit comparison tool.
  2. Submit for your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)*****
    • You must provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for each benefit you wish to use. A COE should be submitted your first semester at South Suburban College and upon request from the Office of Veterans Services thereafter.
    • If you have already been approved for the Illinois Veterans Grant or Illinois National Guard Grant you may view remaining entitlement on the ISAC website. This resource can help you find the information.
    • Please also submit your DD-214 ( with your social security number redacted and email both to
  3. Documents Needed to Certify Education Benefits
    • Official documentation from the Office of Veteran’s Affairs to show what educational benefit you are qualified to use VA Benefit Letter.
    • Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
    • If you are using IVG, ING, or MIA POW, please provide a copy of the Notice of Eligibility Letter.
    • Copy of current school schedule.
    • Request for Veteran Benefits Form.
  • All official documents should be submitted to:

    South Suburban College
    Office of Admissions
    15800 South State Street
    South Holland, IL 60473.

  • If you have attended another regionally accredited college or university, you will need to complete the transcript evaluation process at South Suburban College. This includes your military transcripts. Visit the Office of Student Records webpage for more information.
  • All reviews must be completed before enrollment information will be forwarded to the VA. You can mail official transcripts to the Office of Admissions.
  • Students with foreign transcripts must have transcripts evaluated by Educational Credentials Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) during the first semester of attendance at SSC and are responsible for any ECE evaluation fees.
  • South Suburban College placement tests can be completed online or in person in the testing center. Placement exams available for English, Reading, and ALEK Math.
  • Plan for approximately three hours of testing.
  • A valid photo ID is required for assessment testing in the testing center. The following Information is also needed to look up your SSC account in order to set up your online placement testing:
    • Your name
    • Your date of birth or
    • South Suburban College ID number
  • There is a one-time, non-refundable $25 testing fee that must be paid for in advance of taking a test. This testing fee covers the English, Reading and the ALEKS Math placement test. For online testing, the testing center will bill your account. You can also come to SSC at your convenience to pay the testing fee.
  • Do you have your SAT/ACT scores that are under 2 years old? If so, you may be able to use those score for class placement instead of testing. Please provide a copy of your SAT Score Report Sheet.
  • If you had taken a placement test at another college or university, bring your school report to the counseling center for evaluation. You may be exempt from taking the placement testing based on the previous college credit or ACT, SAT scores.

For further information or if you have questions about Placement testing at SSC, contact Lilah Gibson, Testing Coordinator, by email or by phone at (708) 596-2000, ext. 2483. The Assessment Center is in Room 2266 at the Main Campus and is open Monday – Thursday from 8:00am to 4:00pm and Friday 8:30am to 1:00pm.

  • To meet with a counselor, make an appointment on our QLess virtual line system web page.
  • You must follow a Degree/Certificate program in the Course Catalog. Let the advisor counselor know you plan on using VA Educational Benefits.
PLEASE NOTE: The academic advisor is there to help you choose your courses, NOT advise on military benefits.
  • SSC’s SELF-SERVICE is where you go for registration, course planning, student financial information, and email. All students attempting to access SSC Self Service need to have completed the application process.
  • Any student without a user name and password, must visit the Office of Admissions (main campus), with a valid, government issued, photo ID to retrieve your information. You can also use the Online Password Resend form. An email will be sent to the secondary email address on file.
  • If you do not live in-district, but are using a charge-back agreement, cooperative agreement, work-in-district waiver, etc., you still need to register online, but then must come to the registration counter, on campus, to have your tuition rate adjusted (be sure to bring proper documentation).
  • For assistance with registering online, visit the Academic Computing Help Desk or call (708) 225-5825.
  • To pay for the courses, students utilizing veteran or dependent education benefits are eligible to enroll in a deferred payment plan. Enrollment into the deferred payment plan prevents a student’s classes from being dropped for non-payment until:
    • The student’s education benefit covers the cost of tuition and fees.
    • The student covers the cost of tuition and/or fees by the designated installment dates. Not all veteran education benefits cover the full cost of tuition or fees. Please understand your financial obligations prior to enrolling in the deferred payment plan.
    • You may contact Ms. Cheryl Plath, the School Certifying Official (SCO), if you have any questions.

  1. Complete If done in person, this is an 45-60 minute overview of the College policies, procedures and resources available for student success! Students will learn about:
    • Academic Planning (Self Service)
    • Financial Aid
    • Support services (including Tutoring, Library, Career and job preparedness, Disability services, and Veterans services)
    • Programs of Study (Your degree or certificate program)
    • Student IDs, email logins, and other communication tools
    • Clubs and Organizations

    See Ms. Tiffany Jones at the Reception Desk for guidance.

  2. Utilize Student Services (Must Have Class Schedule for to obtain ID card). After confirming your class schedule visit the Office of Student Life & Leadership in Room 2329 to obtain a student I.D. The SSC student I.D. supports access to free services (tutoring, academic accommodations, library reserves, etc.) and resources (loaner laptops, computer lab, food pantry, etc.) provided by the college to support your success. Visit STUDENT SERVICES webpage for the list of student services.
  3. Access your SSC student email account. Accessing your SSC student email account is vital to receive official correspondence from SSC regarding grades, bills, due dates, confirmations, financial aid updates, registration deadlines, wait list, and much, much, more.
    • USER NAME: [username]
    • PASSWORD: Your password is the one that was assigned to you for Self Service. This information was contained in your SSC “Welcome” email.

    Download these instructions on how to set up your student email account visit or call the Academic Computing Helpdesk (708) 225-5825.

Check in with the Veteran Services Specialist (VSS), in Room 2363 or call at 708-596-2000, ext. 2233.

Veterans and service members can use the Veteran Center’s computer lab. Please check in with the VSS.

NOTE: Students still serving in the armed forces, you must speak with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within your branch prior to enrolling for classes. For more information, please speak to your VSS.

We applaud you for your commitment to SUCCESS and we are here to support you any way we can. We will be using D2L Brightspace this semester. If you run into any trouble accessing your courses, please do not hesitate to email If you’re not sure about your username or password, try our online password recovery tool and it will be emailed to the secondary email address we have on file.