Financial Aid


PLEASE NOTE: Some states and schools have limited funds, so don’t delay! To begin your application, click the button below:


SSC must have an official high school or HSE transcript on file for those who plan to use Financial Aid. In order for a transcript to be deemed “official” it must be received in a sealed envelope and include the school seal and graduation date. A current state issued photo ID is needed for proof of residency. Contact Admissions at (708) 210-5718 (se habla Español) for more information or to schedule a tour.

Three Tips To Make The Financial Aid Process Go More Smoothly

  1. Fill out a South Suburban College application for admission.
  2. Bring in an official copy of your High School transcripts or High School Equivalency (HSE) scores.
  3. Fill out a free Application for Federal Student Aid online, or pick up a copy, fill it out, and return it to our Financial Aid Office along with copies of your and your parents most recent tax returns.

Financial Aid Information Sessions

The Office of Financial Aid now has information sessions available Monday through Thursday in the Financial Aid office on the second floor of the Main Campus at the following times:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
3:00 pm 10:00 am 10:00 am 3:00 pm

To schedule your appointment, call (708) 596-2000, ext 2242. Walk-ins are welcome!  Se habla Español.

The College provides a comprehensive program of student financial assistance consisting of scholarships, grants and employment. These programs may be offered singly or in various combinations to assist qualified full-time or half-time students in meeting their financial needs. Information about these programs and services may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid. All students applying for financial assistance are asked to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and indicate on the application that information is to be sent to the state agency. Students are encouraged to make early application for financial assistance. Note: Students who want to be considered for the Pell Grant, Illinois State Monetary Award Program, College Work Study and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) must submit an official High School transcript or an official GED and enroll in a degree program or in an eligible certificate program.
Students who have been declared in default of their Federal or State student loan are not eligible for Federal or State financial aid. These students must pay their own tuition in order to attend the College.
Scholarships are an additional source of financial assistance that many students can take advantage of. FastWeb’s free scholarship search includes more than 500,000 scholarships worth more than $1 billion. FastWeb is provided completely free and South Suburban College is a proud FastWeb member school. Search for scholarships on FastWeb! also provides ideas and sources of funding to college students. Click on the “Find Scholarships” tab at the top of their page. Visit the SSC Scholarship Opportunities page for a complete listing of available SSC scholarships.
The South Suburban College Board of Trustees awards two-year tuition scholarship to outstanding high school seniors who are in the top 15 percent of their high school graduating class or have a grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 grading scale. Recipients must attend high school within District 510 or reside in the district while attending another high school. Recipients are subject to renewal at the end of each semester and must maintain at least a 3.0 (B) grade point average.
The UPS Earn and Learn Program is a student financial assistance package offered to students who work part-time at UPS. What’s that really mean to you? If you attend or plan on attending South Suburban College, the program will most likely cover the entire cost of your education. And what’s more, UPS has partnered with South Suburban to help keep the financial paperwork simple. To find out more about the Earn and Learn Program, contact the UPS representative for South Suburban College at 708-225-5827 or visit us at
Pell Grant – For students who demonstrate financial need. Illinois Student Assistance Commission (Monetary Award) – For full-time and half-time students AR SSC. Tuition grants are based on family financial need to cover the costs of in-district tuition. Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) – For students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to Pell Grant recipients.
Students must complete the financial aid form to be eligible for Federal on-campus employment. Work/study students are limited in earnings and hours that they may work at College jobs and must maintain six or more credit hours of study at South Suburban College to remain employed. Students interested in campus jobs should contact the Office of Financial Aid to confirm eligibility and apply for openings as they become available.
Limited funds are available under this program. Short-term loans are provided to eligible students for the purchase of books and supplies. Students must be continuing, have a GPA of 2.0 and be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours to be considered for this book loan.
For more information, please visit our Veterans Services page.
According to federal and state guidelines, a student must maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to be eligible to receive financial assistance. South Suburban College has established the following standards in order for a student to receive federal and/or state financial aid. A student who becomes enrolled in less than 12 credit hours per semester because of either withdrawal from class(es), officially or unofficially, may receive a reduction in financial aid dependent upon the particular eligibility requirements for the program. In addition, students who withdraw from classes during the 100 percent refund period will only receive aid for the total number of hours registered for after that period. Note:Hours attempted is defined as the total credit hours a student is enrolled in on the final day of the 100 percent refund period during a given semester.
  1. Completion Rate Requirement – To receive and maintain eligibility for financial aid, a student must complete at least 66-2/3 percent of hours attempted.
  2. Grade Point Average Requirement – To be eligible for financial assistance a student must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. This grade point average standard is an academic measure of a student’s progress toward completion of a particular program. Federal regulations require the College to take into account a student’s academic performance throughout their course of study, regardless of whether the student received financial aid.
  3. Maximum Time Frame Requirement – Students may receive financial aid until they have attempted 90 semester hours of credit from the College. The exception will be those degree programs that require at least 70 credit hours to graduate. In these cases, financial aid will be granted up to 105 credit hours attempted.
  4. Academic Forgiveness – All attempted hours are included in the satisfactory progress calculation.
Financial aid recipients’ satisfactory progress is evaluated after the completion of each academic semester. Evaluations will be based on courses completed at SSC. Should the evaluations indicate the terms of the policy have not been met, the student will be placed on Financial Aid Probation for one semester, during which time aid will continue to be disbursed. Students failing to comply with the Satisfactory Progress Standards at the conclusion of their financial aid probation will be denied future financial aid. Grades earned of A, B, C, D, or P is considered completed grades. Incompletes and withdrawals are not considered complete grades. Audits, proficiency tests and noncredit courses are not included in the total number of credit hours attempted and therefore are not considered toward credit hour completion. Remedial courses, up to 30 hours are not counted toward credit hour completion.

To ensure the quality and integrity of the financial aid program at South Suburban College, satisfactory progress will be evaluated at the completion of each academic semester. Summer coursework, if applicable, will also be considered. Policy guidelines will begin once a student has attempted a minimum of six credit hours.

A strict appeal process will be enforced for evaluating students who cannot reach the minimum qualifications needed to remain in good standing with the College’s academic guidelines along with federal regulations. Student financial aid appeals shall be considered on a case by case basis, with mitigating circumstances adequately documented. Mitigating circumstances, such as illness or a family catastrophe that may have caused non-compliance can be reviewed by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee for a possible one semester extension, if fully documented. This appeal must be made in writing and must include documentation such as medical bills, insurance claims, etc. The semester extension will not be granted without the written approval of the majority of the committee. All decisions of the Committee are final.

A Financial Aid staff person shall serve as a non-voting resource person at all meetings.

If a student’s appeal is granted, federal guidelines require that the student has an academic plan so that the student can regain satisfactory standing. South Suburban’s academic plan for students on appeal is that the student completes, without failing or withdrawing, 100% of classes taken and earn a 2.0 G.P.A. or higher thereafter. Students who are granted an appeal must sign the academic plan. At the end of each semester, academic progress will be re-evaluated to make certain students are meeting the criteria of the academic plan. If criteria are not met financial aid will be denied.

The policy does not preclude a student from enrolling in subsequent semesters and reestablishing satisfactory progress. Financial aid may be reinstated by the Office of Financial Aid when a student satisfies the minimum qualitative and quantitative policy requirements.

Summer 2017

  1. Students will be allowed to purchase books in the Bookstore starting Monday, May 15, 2017.
  2. Purchases will be accepted until the close of business on Thursday, June 13, 2017.
  3. Students may buy any required books, recommended books, and educational supplies.

Students making purchases in the Bookstore will be required to have a College ID. IDs can be obtained in the Office of Student Life & Leadership (on the 2nd floor across from the Registration Office).

Wondering How Much College Might Cost?

Try the Net Price Calculator