The mission of South Suburban College is to Serve our Students and the Community through lifelong learning.
South Suburban College is a welcoming, attractive, efficient, safe, transparent, and financially secure institution that fosters creative communication and synergy within the campus community and between that community and its partners.
Through innovative teaching, integration of technology, modeling sustainable practices that value the environment, cultivation of external partnerships and a culture of assessment, SSC will play a pivotal role in transforming the lives of its diverse student population.
- High quality education, training, and services for all individuals who have the ability to benefit from our programs.
- Providing accessible and affordable programs to a diverse community of learners.
- Training delivered in collaboration with local businesses.
- A community of staff, faculty, administrators, and students that create an environment and resources for learning.
- Up-to-date facilities and technology that help prepare students to baccalaureate programs or the job market.
Our Institutional Goals
- Provide credit courses and Associate degree programs for academically prepared students to assist them in preparing for transfer to a four-year degree college or university. The College will be accountable for the quality of academic programs and the assessment of learning.
- Provide high quality, accessible and affordable credit courses and associate degree and certificate programs for academically prepared students to assist them in preparing for occupations that require career education beyond the high school level.
- Provide developmental instruction in reading, writing and mathematical skills to students requiring these skills in order to succeed in other college programs or complete a high school equivalency program and to expand adult education.
- Increase the number and diversity of students who complete training and educational programs by providing academic advising, learning resources and supportive services, such as specialized learning assistance, for students with a wide range of academic needs.
- Partner with local businesses and industry to sustain strong economic grow and maintain a competitive workforce.
- The College will provide universal/technical skills to qualify community residents for employment and will assist in business development.
- Complement classroom instruction with student opportunities through workplace internships, cooperative education, and other work-based learning approaches.
- Offer activities, services, and programs that enhance student life and enrich the educational experience of the student to increase knowledge of societal and civic responsibilities in a complex society. Design and implement programs that develop student leadership, ethical decision making and international cultural understanding.
- Collaborate with area elementary and secondary school districts to develop and provide educational services to their students and staff.
- Provide high quality educational programs by utilizing quality measures as input from advisory committees, assessment of student learning outcomes, and recommendations from our accrediting agencies.
- Maintain fiscal responsibility by continuing improving productivity, cost effectiveness, and accountability.
Our Core Values
We serve our students, partners, and the community.
Student- Centered Environment
We are dedicated to student achievement and promote innovative strategies and initiatives to maximize our students’ opportunity for success.
We value our partners in business, industry, government, school districts, and fellow educators.
We value collaboration among SSC employees and SSC constituents.
We offer accessible, affordable programs to a diverse community of learners.
We admire differences and treat others with civility. We respect the rights, differences, and dignity of others.
We support excellence in teaching, learning, and all supportive services.
We will be recognized for our commitment to sustainability, education and training, and the implementation of green initiatives and practices.