- Chapter 30 – Prior Active Duty G.I. Bill
- Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 G.I. Bill
- Chapter 35 – Survivor & Dependents
- Chapter 1606 – Reserve / National Guard G.I. Bill
- Chapter 1607 – Active Reserves / National Guard G.I. Bill
- Vocational Rehabilitation
ILLINOIS STATE BENEFITS
- Illinois Veterans Grant
- National Guard Grant
- MIA / POW
See MILITARY BENEFITS web page for more information about these benefits.
- IVG covers tuition and mandatory fees. Does not cover lab fees.
- Illinois National Guard covers tuition only.
- MIA/POW covers tuition only.
If you are not sure as to which benefits program you are eligible for, you can contact the Department of Veterans’ Affairs office in St. Louis Missouri at (888) 442-4551.
You can also request information from benefits.va.gov/gibill/.
You need to notify the school certifying official (SCO) at SSC if you add or drop any classes. Adding or dropping classes may also change the monthly payment you receive from the VA.Veteran Services
Ms. Cheryl Plath
School Certifying Official (SCO)
Rm. 2355 – Main Campus
Phone| (708) 596-2000 ext. 2283
Fax| (708) 210-5746
You do not need to be a full-time student to received benefits. The number of certified credit hours you take will determine how much your monthly benefit will be. You can see the current payment rates at the Department of Veteran Affairs website or by calling (888) 442-4551.
Information on how your monthly benefits are determined can be found on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
Yes, you can receive financial aid and use your veteran benefits to help cover the cost of your tuition, fees and books. You can apply for financial aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov to determine if you are eligible.
Veterans or Active Duty military personnel should submit the following transcripts to the Office of Admissions:
- AARTS (Army American Council on Education Registry Transcript System)
- SMARTS (Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript)
- AFIADL (Air Force Institute of Advanced Distributed Learning)
- CGI1564 (Coast Guard Institute)
- DD-295 (Application for the Evaluation of Learning Experiences during Military Service)
- DD-214 (Separation from Military Service)
- Transcripts from regionally accredited colleges
Credits will be awarded for courses that are comparable to courses offered at South Suburban College. Credits awarded will not be calculated into a student’s grade point average.
See MILITARY CREDITS web page for more information.
Still Need Answers?
Feel free to submit your question on the inquiry form below and one of the personnel at the Veterans Center will reach out to you as soon as possible.
Ms. Tami R. Bowen, Veterans Services Specialist
MAIN CAMPUS | Room 2363
PHONE | (708) 596-2000 ext. 2233